Ranking modern presidents, from first to worst, is an entirely subjective matter. That said, we’re quite sure Joe Biden will be, if elected, the most destructive president of our lifetimes if not of all time.
At I&I we tend to look at Jimmy Carter and Barack Obama as being the worst presidents from our lifetimes. Carter saw himself as the caretaker of the country’s inevitable decline rather someone who would lift it from its malaise. Obama managed the worst economic recovery in our post-war history, allowed ISIS to grow into a terrorist power, and rolled over for Iran’s mullahs. His was the most divisive presidency of modern times. If this nation is on the brink of another civil war, as some suggest we are, it’s because he set the tone for the bitter separation we see today among Americans.
At least Carter led the deregulation of the airline, trucking and rail industries, and in his 1978 State of the Union address acknowledged “we really need to realize that there is a limit to the role and the function of government.”
Biden would neither do nor say any such thing.
Here, though, is what can expect from a Biden presidency:
- A hard left shift in policies that the Democratic Party, already too far left, has surrendered to. Few will dare call it socialism, but that’s what it will be, with government continually taking bites out of civil society, centralized bureaucrats planning the economy, and political cronies cashing in.
- Higher taxes.
- A sclerotic economy.
- An unsustainable government-run health care system.
- An executive branch that recognizes no limits to its power: “This messy democracy and our constitutional republic are wildly inconvenient and Democrats are done pretending to abide it,” writes Ned Ryun in American Greatness.
- Demands for a modern inquisition to “erase (President Donald) Trump’s lies” and “name every official, politician, executive, and media mogul whose greed and cowardice enabled this catastrophe.”
- A commander in chief “who is controlled by a movement that believes America is bad.”
- Energy policy based on the costly and needless Green New Deal.
- A rollback of the Trump administration’s deregulation achievements.
- An acceleration of the cancel culture.
- Accommodations to the Antifa and Black Lives Matter zealots who want to destabilize the country. Under a Biden administration, these groups will eventually become de facto stormtroopers for the Democrats.
- Unpunished violence from the left against those who publicly oppose Biden and the Democrat-media machine, and/or support the Republicans remaining in office, law enforcement, and free speech.
- Childish foreign policy.
- A campaign to ban gasoline-powered automobiles.
- A president who will sleep through that 3 a.m. phone call.
None of these make America a better country. They all add up to a dystopian future, far removed from what once was a land like no other in history.
Remember, Biden was vice president for the man who thought he’d been ordained by secular priests to fundamentally change this country, and who himself tweeted “we won’t just rebuild this nation – we’ll transform it.” Voters should be horrified that a major political party and its presidential candidate want to strip away the unique qualities that have made America the last best hope on Earth.
— Written by the I&I Editorial Board