The invasion of Mar-a-Lago takes the endless, all-out war on Donald Trump to a new and uncharted level.
As if we didn’t know already upon learning that one of its many arms had spied on the White House during The Donald’s tenure, it’s now clear that the illegitimate regime occupying 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue and the commanding heights of law enforcement, the military, Big Business and the culture will stop at nothing to maintain its hold on power.
And equally evident that the former president and his cohort cannot make its members (except RINO primary losers) pay any political or other price for their brazen behavior.
The painful truth: for all his mean tweets, tough talk and base-building prowess, for six years Trump and his troops have brought broadaxes to a flamethrower fight against a scorched-earth opposition.
The litany of outrageous outmaneuverings of Team Trump by perfidious, power-savvier progressive plotters continues to mount:
- John McCain’s late-night revenge vote against Obamacare repeal sealed its perpetuation and ongoing oppression.
- Nancy Pelosi won a staredown in a shutdown showdown – plus a teardown of Trump’s planned border wall to boot.
- National security adviser Michael Flynn was neutralized by illegal leaks of perfectly appropriate contacts with Russia’s ambassador, then entrapped by FBI agents personally dispatched by Director James Comey, who shamelessly bragged it was something he “probably wouldn’t have done or gotten away with in a more organized … administration.”
- The Donald was cornered by the selfsame Comey into accepting Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s rogue investigation after hapless Attorney General Jeff Sessions was unceremoniously sidelined over – what else? – perfectly appropriate contacts with the Russian ambassador.
- Washington lifers Deborah Birx and Anthony Fauci conned Trump into a COVID lockdown, whereupon the Swamp swooped to swell the Nanny’s State’s size, scope and suppressiveness.
- The president couldn’t head off two, count ‘em, two sham impeachment proceedings led by insufferable Pecksniff Adam Schiff – one incredibly, after he left the White House.
- Trump and Co. were not just routed in an election steal behind a senile, corrupt, basement-dwelling gaffe machine but allowed the other side to flip totally proper inquiries into further civil and criminal investigations topped by harassment, professional harm and utter humiliation.
- As a result, his administration’s extraordinary economic gains, global energy dominance, historic Middle East peace accords, and progress against untrammeled immigration are all being undone, and then some.
- Now Joe Biden’s bag man Merrick Garland is getting away with a mind-boggling abuse of authority as a certain precursor to politicized prosecution, the Gossip-Girl(ie)-powered Jan. 6 production continues to nibble away at Trump’s brand and reputation, and a litany of civil and criminal suits and investigations will ultimately overwhelm the ex-commander in chief’s ability to command the stage and the narrative.
In short, while Donald Trump masterfully seized the levers of power and influence, he never knew how to effectively wield them to hold off the political Lilliputians still swarming him.
So now what? This commentator has come to the reluctant conclusion that it’s time to face reality: worse is yet to come from a wrathful, ruthless opposition with nothing to lose and no one to keep it even close to the bright lines of political and legal propriety.
And thus, time to hand off the still-bright MAGA torch to an equally fearless devotee to the cause, yet a proven skillful operator of the machinery of government and political trench warrior.
A no-holds-barred, take-on-all-comers battler who:
- Having narrowly survived his own election steal, promptly dispatched the perps, ran one of his state’s smoothest elections in recent history in 2020, and is cruising toward reelection.
- Controversially and bravely led the way in holding off the COVID cops, protecting small businesses, opening schools and eschewing mask mandates while foresightedly protecting the most vulnerable.
- Has driven a Freedom Agenda featuring fiscal responsibility, tax relief, and school choice
- lived out his pledge to be America’s most pro-Israel governor by sanctioning AirBnB’s BDSism.
- Signed an anti-sanctuary city bill, required cooperation with federal immigration authorities and variously proposed shipping undocumenteds to Delaware, elitist Martha’s Vineyard or back to Mexico
- Not just opposed “defunding” police but offered $5,000 bonuses to attract officers from other states.
- Approved a ban on elective abortion after 15 weeks.
- Halted the traumatization, self-shaming and brainwashing of kindergartners with critical race theory and transgender ideology, banned men from participating in women’s sports, declared a Florida-native NCAA athlete the winner in a competition lost to Lia Thomas, called for child mutilators to be sued and pulled the rug out from under the most important player in his state’s most important industry for questioning these common-sense stances.
- Pushed a ban on Big Tech deplatforming conservatives.
- And plays a hostile press like a violin, even barring stunned reporters from events.
Combining Trump’s fearlessness with experience navigating the military and law enforcement bureaucracy, this obvious heir as MAGA magnate not only knows where the bodies are buried, he has put many of them there.
With not nearly enough thanks from an ungrateful nation, it’s time for a thoroughly thumped Donald Trump to exit, stage right. And clear the way for one Ronald Dion DeSantis.
Bob Maistros is a messaging and communications strategist, crisis specialist and former political speechwriter. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.