As soon as President Joe Biden took office, the number of foreigners crossing the southern U.S. border illegally exploded. When asked about it in his first press conference in March 2021, Biden brushed it off, saying “this happens every year” and “nothing has changed.”
Later that same month, Biden claimed that “this new surge we’re dealing with now started with the last administration, but it’s our responsibility to deal with it humanely and to — and to stop what’s happening.”
At his State of the Union address this year, he said that “if we are to advance liberty and justice, we need to secure the border and fix the immigration system.”
As recently as June, Biden was claiming to be on top of this crisis, saying that “as we speak, Mexico and the United States are conducting what is known as ‘mirror patrols’ — joint operations to interdict criminals attempting to illegally move drugs and migrants across our borders.”
He wasn’t the only one throwing smoke. Vice President Kamala Harris in June 2021 had this to say: “I am immensely proud to lead the workforce — the men and women of DHS — in executing our responsibility to secure the border.” She claimed to be tackling the “root causes” of illegal immigration.
And who can forget the many times that Department of Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas asserted that the “border is secure” — a lie he repeated as recently as July.
This chart proves that everything Biden, Harris, and Mayorkas have said about tackling the border crisis were flagrant lies. The chart compares monthly “apprehensions” at the border under Biden with the average monthly apprehensions from 2012 through 2020.
The truly shocking thing about this turn of events is that the mainstream press has let Biden get away with it. They have zero interest in the border, or did, at least, until the Texas and Arizona governors started busing a handful of the 2 million who’ve crossed over to New York and Washington, D.C.
When those cities got a tiny whiff of what border states have been suffering, suddenly it was a problem. Not that illegals were invading the country, but that they were being forced to cope with it at all.
This is a dereliction of duty of the worst kind — for Biden, his top officials, and the supposedly free and independent press. Republicans are making plans to impeach Mayorkas if they take control of the House and Senate in the mid-term elections. Why stop there?
— Written by the I&I Editorial Board
Sources for statements in the chart:
- March 17, 2021: “The border is secure, and the border is not open.” Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas.
- June 15, 2021: “The administration has made significant progress at establishing a well-managed and secure border while also treating people fairly and humanely. The American people support this approach.” White House statement.
- Sept. 22, 2021: “The border is secure. We’re executing our plan.” Mayorkas.
- March 1, 2022: “And if we are to advance liberty and justice, we need to secure the border and fix the immigration system.” Joe Biden
- July 20, 2022: “Look, the border is secure. We are working to make the border more secure. That has been a historic challenge.” Mayorkas.