In the run-up to the 2020 elections, we were bombarded with stories about Republicans who were not only opposed to Donald Trump’s reelection but were actively campaigning on behalf of Joe Biden.
These Republicans didn’t just express disdain for Trump, they sang Biden’s praises, calling him a uniter, a reasonable centrist, an honest man, someone who’d reach across the aisle “to get things done.” Now, after Biden’s first 100 days in office, we can see how well those promises have held up.
Our judgment in three words: Not. At. All.
Biden is governing as the most leftist president in history. He has shunned Republicans at every turn. He’s attacked the U.S. as racist. He’s been caught in flagrant lies. And so on.
So let’s see what exactly those “Republicans for Biden” were promising that a vote or Biden would produce. And let’s compare those with what the news tells us is happening now.
“I’m sure there are Republicans and independents who couldn’t imagine crossing over to support a Democrat. They fear Joe may turn sharp left and leave them behind. I don’t believe that because I know the measure of the man. It’s reasonable, faithful, respectful.” — John Kasich
Sorry, John, but those fears were perfectly justified as Biden quickly shed any pretense of centrism to “go big” with trillions of dollars in new government programs. In fact, the leftist “mainstream” media are falling over themselves with glee over how liberal he’s proven to be. Here a few headlines:
- Biden Surprises With Left-Leaning Policies Progressives Laud
- Joe Biden Wants An ‘FDR-Size Presidency’
- MSNBC’s Melber: Biden Increasingly Liberal — He Sounds Like ‘The New Bernie’
- Newt Gingrich: Biden’s first 100 days — among the most radical in all of American history
“You know, no one pushes Joe around.” — Kasich, that same speech.
So far, it appears that everyone can push Biden around. That is, everyone on the left. A sampling of recent stories:
- Biden raises refugee cap to 62,500 after facing criticism for keeping Trump-era levels in place
- Biden caves, will lift sanctions on Iran
- Biden caves on the Hyde Amendment
- Biden Caves to Asian Lobby
- Biden Caves To Left, Axes Police Reform Study For Immediate Activist Action
- Democrats put holdouts on hot seat as Biden caves to left in filibuster fight
“This isn’t about a Republican or Democrat. It’s about a person … a person who can work with everyone, Democrats and Republicans, to get things done.” — Christine Todd Whitman
How is Biden doing on that “work with everyone” to “get things done” score? Is he reaching across the aisle to make deals? Even Kasich is expressing frustration that Biden isn’t the “work with everyone” president he and others promised.
“I haven’t seen any bipartisanship,” he said. “I’ve seen a lot of talk and rhetoric, but I haven’t seen much negotiating between Republicans and Democrats. Words matter, but actions matter more.”
As for “getting things done,” what has he done to resolve the border crisis (that he created) other than blame Trump and put his do-nothing vice president in charge of fixing it? Let’s review:
- Biden scorns Republicans, stacks administration with partisans and activists
- Moderate Republicans are skeptical of Biden’s unity efforts
- ‘Explicit disrespect’: Biden’s snub of Republicans in first 100 days threatens rest of agenda
- How Biden’s firm line with Republicans draws on lesson of Obama’s mistakes
- Poll: We’re More Divided Than Ever Under Joe ‘Uniter’ Biden
- Arizona Democrat Criticizes Biden for Ignoring ‘Immediate Crisis at the Border’ in Speech
“We need a president who summons our better angels, not a president who appeals to our baser instincts.” — Jeff Flake
We heard words like this a lot from those in the “Republicans for Biden” crowd. To them, it didn’t matter that Trump did more to advance conservative principles and policies than any president, including Ronald Reagan. They despised Trump because he was uncouth and unrefined. But Biden doesn’t seem to care about “summoning our better angels.” He’s more interested in needlessly scaring the public about COVID-19, blatantly lying about a duly passed election-reform law in Georgia, and stoking racial tensions. Here are some of the headlines:
- Biden’s radical U.N. ambassador stokes racial divide, diminishes U.S. on world stage
- Biden condemned for calling Capitol storming ‘worst attack on democracy’ since Civil War
- Joe Biden Calls For U.S. To ‘Root Out Systemic Racism’ In Speech To Congress
- WaPo Fact-Checkers Slam Biden for Georgia Election Law Claims: ‘Four Pinocchios’
- Biden calls Georgia law ‘Jim Crow in the 21st Century’
- ‘Absolute Nonsense’: Many Black Leaders Rejecting Biden’s ‘Jim Crow’ Slam Against Voter IDs
- Joe Biden Calls For U.S. To ‘Root Out Systemic Racism’
- ‘America is not a racist country’: Sen. Tim Scott delivers GOP response
“There’s only one candidate in this race who stands up for our values as a nation, and that is @JoeBiden.” — Cindy McCain
Is Biden “standing up for our values”? You wouldn’t think so if you followed the news. For example, isn’t one of America’s core values the presumption of innocence? Yet there was Biden all but insisting that a police officer be found guilty of murder before the trial was over. Nor is he standing up for an American value expressed in the Second Amendment. Or for the value of a secure national border. Well, you be the judge.
- Biden Ignores Chauvin Trial Judge’s Admonishment About Jury Intimidation And Tampering From Politicians
- President Biden says he’s ‘praying’ that jurors convict Derek Chauvin
- Deeply Irresponsible: Biden Blasted for Weighing in Ahead of Chauvin Verdict
- Eric Greitens: Joe Biden Is Out of Touch with ‘Core American Values’
- Biden’s Foreign-Policy Values Aren’t ‘Normal’
- Texas Gov. Abbott slams Biden for abandoning ‘rule of law’ amid border crisis
- Multiple Governors Stand Up to Joe Biden’s Attack on Second Amendment
So, will “Republicans for Biden” apologize to the nation for grossly misleading voters about who Biden is, and for their role in unleashing a far-left Democratic ideologue on the nation?
Don’t bet on it. They are all too busy trying to justify themselves to ever admit they were wrong. Still, they should all be called on the carpet.
— Written by the I&I Editorial Board
No apologies in the works. However, if Manchin capitulates, and the expected speed of our downfall increases exponentially, they won’t be seen walking down the street. They’ll be tired of looking over they’re shoulders.
The issue here is one of style vs. substance. Many Never-Trumpers in both 2016 and 2020 favored Trump’s policies but could not stomach his histrionic and loud governance, his exhausting megalomania, mendacity and mindlessness, and so sat the elections out or, sad to relate, voted for the Democrat.
Will they apologize now that Biden has abandoned his moderate mien and become a raging progressive bull? Fuhgeddaboudit!
An article on Powerline Blog yesterday said it all: https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2021/05/time-for-civil-disobedience.php
And when can we expect an apology from the National Review, ostensibly a conservative periodical its anti-Trump headlines, including calls for impeachment, were as virulent as those of the Leftist media?
With vote recounts continuing in States as of May 14, 2012, with States admitting election fraud in the mail-in-vote by establishing better voting laws, and employing the Capitol Protests as an excuse to ignore multiple State election fraud to get an illegal Electoral College Vote on the books belies the authority of this Biden Administration.
With that much illegal corruption infecting our politics, there is no legitimacy about the Biden/Harris right to rule.
Adam of CA.
Why did anyone think that Biden was a centrist? His last years as a Senator were as leftist as Obama and Bernie Sanders. He was then the attack dog VP for Mr. Anti-American Barack Obama. Not many centrist leanings there.